Your feet are a very important part of your body. The human foot has 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments, and 19 muscles working together for each step. The bones in your feet alone make up 25% of the bones in your entire body. Americans log an average of 75,000 miles on their feet by the time they reach age 50! That’s a lot of work for your tootsies. Most people don’t think twice about the working of the foot until there’s something wrong. Three out of four Americans experience serious foot problems in their lifetime, with women being four times more likely to experience problems. Up to 70% of diabetics can experience nerve damage and pain in their feet. The best thing you can do to help your feet is to prevent problems from happening.
Here are some things you can do to improve your foot health.
- Wear Proper Shoes- Ill fitting shoes can cause pain, bunions and blisters. High heels can also increase foot pressure by 75%. Make sure you’re wearing the proper shoe for your task.
- Keep Toenails Trimmed- Use appropriate clippers and proper trimming techniques to prevent ingrown toenails and infections. Don’t clip your nails too short.
- Keep Your Feet Dry- Always use a clean towel and thoroughly dry your feet. This can prevent blisters, foot odor, and athlete’s foot.
- Use Sunscreen- Your feet can burn as well as the rest of your body. Don’t forget your feet when applying sunscreen.
- Use Good Foot Hygiene- Thoroughly clean your feet with soapy water, paying good attention between your toes, and make sure to dry them well. Examine your feet each week for changes in skin coloration, blisters, redness, or scaling.
- Know When to Consult a Doctor- Caring for minor problems at home is fine, but problems persist, consult with your doctor or a podiatrist.
The good news is that there are numerous products on the market to help with proper foot care. At ACG Medical Supply we carry everything from cleansers and moisturizers to shoe insoles to prevent problems, as well as pads, sleeves, and protectors for after an injury. We keep many items in stock and can also take special orders on anything we don’t have in the showroom.
This month, ACG Medical Supply is offering a 10% discount on our Diabetic Foot Wash and Deep Healing Foot Cream.