While struggling with an injury or recovering from different health issues, it is quite common to face mobility issues that may take time to subside. In this scenario, switching to a mobility device or four wheel walkers is the best decision to set yourself free and feel confident while moving around easily. Often called the rollators, these four-wheeler walkers have gradually become the first choice of healthcare professionals in terms of comfort, functionality, and mobility. Let’s dive deep into the various facets and benefits of these walkers.
Conceptualized and designed by the Swede Aina Wifalk, a polio patient, in 1978, the rollator has a foldable frame with a seat to sit and rest; it has three or four wheels that aids in mobility. It can be considered an upgrade of the traditional walkers that needed to be lifted and put down at every step while walking. It was a cumbersome and tiring process for an already exhausted patient who needs to balance the walker while moving. However, rollators are a great option if the patient requires balance or support and has weak arms and body to support while walking through the traditional walkers.
What are the Benefits of Using Rollators?
For patients with critical health issues such as heart failure, COPD, and those recovering from surgeries, a 4 wheel walker would be an easier option over the traditional walkers that require great arm strength and perfect grip. The seating option is another USP of these rollators as it allows the person to sit whenever they feel tired. The wheels help in mobility without tiring one’s arms and allow you to turn 360 degrees without putting any strain on the back and neck. There are a wide array of advanced rollators that come with the option of foot support, cup or cane holders that add to the convenience. Patients struggling with low abdominal strength, fractures, and leg injuries can opt for a rollator with automatic press-button options that can set the height, speed, and direction of movement.
How to Choose the Best Rollator?
Depending upon the patient’s requirement, you can choose from a wide range of four-wheel walkers with advanced options that allow you to adjust the height to support the neck, and position you in the right posture. You can also choose from rollators with an attached basket with a stable and sporty design or with a contoured backrest with brake cables and a cross-brace design. While some walkers have a caster fork design, some may have a removable basket for carrying items. With professional help and guidance from your medical practitioners, you can select the perfect 4 wheel walker.
To simplify things, here’s a checklist that would help you select the best rollator that suits your needs.
- Focus on dimensions: While buying a rollator, pay attention to the length and width of the walker so that you can move around freely inside your home without facing any obstacles.
- Indoor Vs Outdoor: Ask yourself where would you use these walkers frequently? Inside the home or outdoors? Depending upon the usage, select the one that fulfills all your needs.
- Maintenance & Storage: Make sure that the rollators are easy to use and maintain and that there is enough space for storage. Choose compact foldable walkers that can also be carried on long journeys.
- Material & Quality: Quality comes first when it comes to rollators. The type of material used would also decide the weight and design of the chair. Select the one that suits your pocket.
- Additional Features: Invest in a walker that offers you maximum features at competitive prices!
Apart from being an essential mobility device for patients, the 4 wheel walkers are a great tool to imbibe a feeling of independence among patients that rely on their caretakers. ACG Medical provides you the high comfort and easy-to-use features that imbibe confidence in the users, which goes a long way in helping them recover faster.