Personal hygiene is an essential part of our lifestyle. It’s important to keep our bodies clean to protect ourselves from illnesses. This has become even more crucial due to the covid-19 pandemic that has adversely affected many countries around the globe. One effective way to slow down, if not prevent, the spread of germs like bacteria and viruses is to properly and frequently wash our hands.
Benefits of Washing Your Hands Properly
Throughout the day, as you do various activities, oil and dirt gather on your hands. Germs are held by these greasy substances and can transfer to other surfaces you may touch. From these surfaces, or by direct contact e.g. handshakes, those germs get transferred to other people. This is why it’s important to frequently clean your hands properly – not only for your safety but for the safety of others as well.
Washing hands is one of the most effective methods to remove germs, protect yourself from illnesses, and stop the spread of germs to others. Soap and warm water are enough to rid yourself of these germs. Proper handwashing can help prevent respiratory infections and diarrhea-related diseases.
Steps for Handwashing
- Wet your hands with clean, warm water. Warm water works more effectively with soap to remove grease and oil from your hands.
- Lather your hand with soap. Make sure to lather your hands down till the wrists, the back of your hands and between your fingers.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Rub firmly and scrub each part of your hand thoroughly –palms, wrists, between your fingers, back of your hands, and under your nails.
- Rinse thoroughly. Rinse your hands under warm, running water –make sure to scrub as you rinse.
- Dry your hands. Use a clean cloth towel or paper towel to dry your hands completely. After you’re done, use the towel to turn off the tap. If you’re using a paper towel, discard it properly after use.
Alternatives to Soap
You may use alcohol-based hand sanitizers if soap and water are not available. To ensure that the sanitizer is effective, make sure that it has at least 60 percent alcohol. You can also find such sanitizers in the form of gels and wipes as well.