February 22nd, 2016
One in every three adults aged 65 or older fall every year. The majority of these falls occur in the bathroom. Every year, 235,000 people over the age of 15 are seen in the ER for injuries suffered in the bathroom. One in every five falls cause injuries as serious as a broken bone. The good news is there are several ways to make your bathroom safer and prevent those injuries.
Top 10 Bathroom Safety Tips
- Never lock your bathroom door. A locked door could prevent help from reaching you quickly. Use a Do Not Disturb sign on the door instead.
- Use an elevated toilet seat on the commode to aid in sitting down or standing up from the toilet with less effort.
- Use a tub grab bar to help get in and out of the bath easier. You can also place suctioned grab bar on the shower wall to hold onto as well.
- A bath bench with a back can provide safety and comfort while showering or bathing.
- Equip your shower with a handheld shower head that you can easily maneuver, minimizing your movement in the shower.
- A no-skid bath mat can be placed on the shower floor or tub to add cushioned comfort and safety.
- Keep the thermostat on your water heater set at 120 degrees or lower to avoid being scalded. Mark the faucet handles clearly as ‘hot’ and ‘cold.’
- Throw out your bathroom rugs. These are the number one cause of household falls. If you need them in the bathroom, secure them with slip resistant backing.
- Make sure your bathroom is well lit during the day and night. You can install a night light that comes on automatically in dim light.
- Take your time in the bathroom. If you are in a rush, you are more likely to fall.
January 11th, 2016
New at ACG Medical Supply! Try the award-winning Topricin Foot Therapy Cream to ease pain associated with leg cramps; nerve pain; gout; plantar fasciitis; Achilles tendonitis; diabetic foot conditions; and common heel, foot, and ankle pain. This homeopathic medication helps to relieve itching, cracking of the skin, and joint pain in the toes and feet.
By stimulating the body’s desire to heal the damage that is causing the pain, Topricin Foot Therapy Cream drains the toxins and fluids that build up in the injured area to improve blood flow to the injured tissue. Safe to use by adults, the elderly, diabetics, pregnant and nursing women, and children over age two. The creme is non-greasy and non-staining and has no odor or fragrance. Free of petroleum, mineral oil, lanolin, capsaicin, menthol, and paragons.
Just $16.95 for the two-ounce tube or $24.94 for four ounces. Come in and receive a $2 in-store discount coupon (while supply lasts).
Purchase from the ACG Online Store or come into the Rowlett or Bedford Showroom to get yours today for a pain-free tomorrow!
January 7th, 2016
Courtesy of rowlett.recovers.org
In the wake of the devastating tornadoes that ripped through our community on December 26, 2015, it is evident that neighbors and businesses alike are banding together to help one another. ACG is pitching into the efforts by offering a 20% discount to victims and responders on their mobility equipment purchases during the month of January.
If you or someone you know needs assistance as a result of the storms, and for volunteer and donation opportunities, visit the Rowlett Recovers website at rowlett.recovers.org. This site provides users with daily community updates on the recovery process; links to donation centers, shelters, and resources; a full listing of contact information; and links to area recovery organizers.
To receive the 20% discount on your mobility equipment purchase, just come into our Rowlett or Bedford Showroom and mention this offer by January 31. It is our small token of support to our valued customers. We are here to help you!
December 14th, 2015
Proper foot care should matter to everyone; however, people with diabetes know that protecting their feet is a serious health issue. According to the American Diabetes Association, ignoring common foot problems, like calluses and poor circulation, can lead to grave threats including limb loss. The ADA estimates almost 30 million people in America are living with diabetes – nearly 10 percent of the population.
ACG Medical Supply has now stocked the new line of Spenco Medics Diabetic Insoles to help those with diabetes keep their feet healthier. Spenco, a leading producer of high-quality insoles and foot care products, has specifically designed this premium full-length insole for the diabetic foot. Specialty features include:
- Plastazote Foam Top Cover that helps reduce friction and will cushion sensitive feet
- Polysorb Memory Structured Foam providing superior cushioning, impact suppression, and added comfort
- An even distribution of pressure at the bottom of the foot, reducing the likelihood of hot spots forming
- Deep heel cupping to help stabilize the back of the foot
- Total Support footbed to provide cushioning and an orthotic arch support
ACG Medical Supply offers a full range of foot care products including shoe insoles, cleansers, moisturizers, heel cups, pads, protectors, and sleeves. Call us at 972-463-0737, or Shop Online, to order your foot care products today.
December 9th, 2015
Golden’s latest Buzzaround XLS electric scooters are now available in our Rowlett and Bedford Showrooms in both the three and four-wheeled models. This next generation scooter series features a new comfort spring system and offers more standard features to make your riding experience better than ever.
The Buzzaround XLS has a wraparound tiller, new LED battery gauge, and a new LED angle-adjustable headlight. This model is also longer in length to offer more foot room, has a greater turning radius, and holds an operating range of up to 14 miles per charge. Disassembly takes seconds with just four easy steps making transportation and storage a breeze!
Watch the following video to view all that the Golden Buzzaround XLS has to offer:
ACG Medical Supply is proud to be a premier Golden scooter dealer to provide you with an enhanced shopping experience. We are also a Golden Authorized Service Center staffed with technicians who are factory trained to service and repair Golden products.
December 7th, 2015
We asked our staff for holiday gift ideas and from it sprung this list of their top picks for presents this holiday season. From moisturizers to a shopping cart, to a seat cushion, and more, this selection will have you covered. Some you can stick in a stocking and some are sure to spoil, but all are staff-approved and ready to ship to you today!
- PocketLite Penlight – $5.95 – a clip activated light that illuminates into those hard-to-find places
- PediFix Diabetic Defense Daily Therapy Foot Moisturizer – $7.50 – penetrates thick, hard, rough skin to moisturize, soothe, and protect
- Elta Lite Moisturizing Lotion – $7.95 – the perfect daily moisturizing lotion for face, hands, and body
- Medline Remedy Olivamine Skin Repair Cream – $10.95 – this cream helps deliver moisture and vital nutrients to the skin and provides protection for at-risk patients
- Biofreeze Spray – $14 – delivers targeted pain relief to treat athletic and muscle related injuries, sore or strained muscles, painful joints, back pain, and arthritis
- DMI Sloping Coccyx Cushion – $18 – provides pressure relief for the coccyx/tailbone area to help relieve lower back pain
- North Coast TrayMate – $19.95 – a sturdy, no wobble snack tray that fits snugly on almost any sofa or chair arm
- Briggs Folding Shopping Cart – $39 – allows you to easily transport groceries, shopping, laundry, and more
- Drive Folding Exercise Peddler with Electronic Display – $40.95 – a safe and gentle form of low-impact exercise, ideal for leg and arm muscles, and for stimulating circulation
- Carex AccuRelief Dual Channel TENS Pain Relief System – $49.95 – a personal TENS unit for home, work, or travel delivering prescription-strength relief
- PVI Rubber Threshold Ramp – $74.95 – this threshold ramp offers no load weight limitations and easily installs in minutes
- Carex Home Overbed Table – $99 – blends seamlessly with traditional home furniture for meals, reading, writing, or laptop use
- Lumex Splash Bath Lift – $650 – enjoy the freedom, independence, luxury, and therapy of soaking in a tub bath with this lightweight and portable personal bath lift
- Golden Lift Chairs (only available in our Showrooms) – starting at $750 – come in and visit our showrooms stocked with the latest styles of chair lifts for you to choose from
- Pride Go-Go Elite Traveler Plus 4-Wheeled Electric Scooter – $1,300 – features one-handed, feather-touch disassembly into five super lightweight sections for convenient transport and storage
Visit our Rowlett or Bedford Showroom, call us at 972-463-0737, or shop from our Online Store. We’re here to help make your holiday season brighter!
November 24th, 2015
Do you face mobility challenges? An outdoor accessibility ramp will ensure you can enter and exit your home safely and with ease.
Take a look at what our certified technicians at ACG Medical Supply can design and build for you. This 12-foot modular ramp, by National Ramp, was installed this past week by Matt and Justin. This product gave one of our customers the freedom to exit his home without assistance for the first time in over a year.
ACG believes that everyone deserves to be independently mobile and live their life to the fullest. We are committed to excellent customer care and safety.
Contact the ACG Rowlett Showroom at 972-463-0737 or the Bedford Showroom at 817-685-8883 and schedule a free home mobility assessment. We are here to keep you on the move!
November 11th, 2015
And Ways to Help Support Our Troops…
Too often we take for granted how lucky we are and the opportunities and freedoms afforded to us. ACG would like to extend sincere gratitude and appreciation on this Veterans Day to the many brave people who have served or currently serve in our military.
We stumbled upon The Welcome Home Blog – an online site that shares videos of surprise military homecomings. Just watching a few videos of returning soldiers is an emotional reminder of sacrifices paid by military families.
Here are some ways we all can express a huge Thank You to soldiers and their families not only on Veterans Day but all days to come:
- Say “thank you for your service” whenever you see a soldier in uniform.
- Pay for a coffee, lunch, or dessert when you see a military person in a restaurant. An act of kindness is a great way to show support.
- Write a letter through Operation Gratitude to deployed soldiers, wounded warriors, and veterans of previous conflicts. Have your child or grandchild draw a picture or write a card as well.
- Support our troops by supporting their families. Soldiers’ Angels provides aid to military families through several services including a holiday adoption program to help a family’s holiday needs.
- Volunteer to provide pet foster care for deployed soldiers through Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet.
Thank you veterans. Thank you former and current military personnel and your families. You are not forgotten.
November 5th, 2015
Our goal is to help people feel comfortable and walk with pride when using a cane. Owning a reliable walking stick or cane is an investment to your health and safety.
Brazos Walking Sticks, located in the Brazos River Valley area of central Texas, is a family-operated business offering handcrafted walking sticks and canes. Brazos has been producing high-quality, handmade walking sticks, hiking staffs, and walking canes for nearly 20 years. Most of their products are made in workshops located within a few miles of their facilities by local craftsmen, but all are made in the USA. With the beauty and functionality that each provides, it’s no wonder that so many customers have turned into collectors.
ACG Medical Supply is proud to provide a variety of these handmade walking sticks, hiking sticks, and trekking poles for purchase from our online store. Each one is individually crafted from the finest woods including sassafras, hickory, cherry, oak, sweet gum, and other exotic and native trees.
We guarantee that you will enjoy owning a Brazos Walking Stick or Walking Cane and will be proud to showing it off for many years. Shop Online or contact one of our friendly sales representatives about ordering yours today.
November 2nd, 2015
A nebulizer device is used to turn liquids into a mist which then can be easily inhaled into the lungs. Various illnesses and medical conditions might require the use of a nebulizer to convert and administer medications.
While the devices are fairly simple to operate and maintain, there are a few key parts that may need checking into if you experience difficulties in getting the nebulizer to perform correctly. Drive Medical has provided the following tips to troubleshoot a non-working nebulizer:
- Is the unit running? Turn the unit on and you should hear the motor. If the motor is not running, you will need to replace the unit.
- Is air coming out of the tubing? Disconnect the medication cup from the tubing to check for air.
- None or little air is coming out of the tubing.
- The intake filter is dirty and needs to be replaced.
- The tubing may be kinked. Straighten the tubing or replace with a new one.
- Air is coming out of the tubing.
- Your medicine may be too sticky or thick. Check with your physician about the need to dilute the medication.
- The medication cup may be clogged and needs to be cleaned or replaced.
- The medication cup is not assembled correctly or parts are missing. Reassemble or replace the medication cup.
ACG Medical Supply offers a variety of nebulizer styles and their accessories. Contact our Bedford or Rowlett Showroom and one of our helpful sales associates will be happy to assist you. We are here to make your life a breeze!
Download a copy of the Troubleshoot Your Nebulizer Guide (PDF) ⇒